Thursday, November 4, 2010

Friday Throwback: Cairo, Egypt

Last May I took a week long adventure into Egypt, which, oddly enough, is in Africa. I know. Actually while there, Egyptians said they consider themselves “Middle Eastern” rather than African. Sort of like how I consider myself from Buffalo, not “upstate New York”, but whatever works. Anyway, I went all over the country, but obviously the first stop was Cairo. This capital city is home to the Great Pyramids of Giza, which are absolutely incredible to see, reaching far beyond all expectations.

I went with my friend AJ, who is part of my France story (I’ll tell that in full someday) and also one of my former roommates left to cry himself to sleep at night getting over my recent move. We went to markets and such, which was sort of annoying because a. everyone thought AJ and I were married (giggle) and b. I was harassed like whoa. As annoying as it is to be harassed, bravo marketmen for knowing how to say hello, how are you, etc in so many languages. As I’ve said before in this blog, I feel so ignorant! I know bits and pieces of languages, and Spanish of course, but I’m astounded by what little children begging can say. Annoyed, but astounded.


On to the pyramids! They are SO BIG. Well worth the trip to see them! Alright, I’m going back to packing, so just look at pictures and marvel at them. Yes, they’re touristy, but hey I’m clearly not Egyptian (why thank you, I have been looking tan recently), so I am forcibly a tourist.


Napoleon ruined this shot.

Come, I HAD to


See! Look how big they are!

The Nile!

Cairo is great, as is the national museum there! So, just go already.

No comments:

Post a Comment