Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Throwback: Chiang Mai and Chiang Dao, Thailand

There is so much traveling that this blog did not capture. So I’m going to try to have a Friday throwback every Friday, but honestly I could also forget after this week, so soak this one in.

This Friday brings us to Chiang Mai, Thailand – one of my favorite cities in the whole wide world. I spent about 10 or so day in Thailand on vacation from my 5 month vacation in Australia. My friend Lauren and I innocently decided to wing it in Thailand, not knowing a lick of the language or how the country even functioned. It was awesome. We decided, after a night in Chiang Mai, to trek the mountains of Chiang Dao. That’s right, I said trek. A three day, two-night trek. Trek.

It started off innocently enough; we were so excited (and naive):



But after going up and down mountains and through caves all day:



We got tired and more tired. We eventually stopped to eat, and our guide chopped down bamboo to make us utensils and cooking materials, which also included my stick to fight of spiders. Hello crafty (him not me):

We didn’t have a set course, which is why things like this happened:


As tired as I was, on the last day I got to ride on top of an elephant’s head! Not that it was a particular life goal of mine, but when given the opportunity, you can’t pass something like that up. And it’s Thailand, come on, there are limited rules here:


All in all, one of the coolest things I’ve done in my life (thus far). And I may or may not have told my parents I went “with a group”, which technically if you count the guide and locals I met, that is considered a group, in the most common sense of the word.

In sum, Thailand is awesome. I can’t wait to go back!




No comments:

Post a Comment