Monday, March 14, 2011

The Rains Down in Argentina

I’ve written about the Rwanda rain, which is scary. But the rain in Argentina definitely gives Africa a run for its money (I could insert a joke in here, but I’m going to respectful decline to do so).

One time a friend here told me that people don’t go out when it rains because they are scared to get stranded. After laughing that off, I realized it’s most certainly true, and I will now be one of those people.

The night started off with a drizzle, but soon after sitting at the bar, it started to forcefully come down. Around 4am, when we tried to leave, we realized: There are no cabs and it’s still pouring. So we sent one brave friend off to hail a cab and pick up the rest of us (don’t even, I’m a lady and my Spanish is sub-par). After somehow finding a cab, we all piled in to head home.

Problem was the streets were literally flooded. The cab had to wade through the water as car crashes happened behind us. All I can really compare this to is trying to wade your wagon across the lake in Oregon Trail and tipping..and getting cholera. The cab took us as far as he could, but then we were forced to walk through the water to my apartment building. Well, I am sure glad I live on the 18th floor.

The drains in the city get clogged, which forces the water buildup in the streets. Then, you must walk through all of the dirt and shit (I’m sorry, I’m swearing) because I literally mean dog feces to get to where you want to go. And then, hang up your clothes and jump in the shower because that is dirtyyy. This picture doesn’t even do it justice, but it’s the best we got.



Photo Credit: Caley Bulinski

No comments:

Post a Comment