Tuesday, January 19, 2010

More about my job

I found out what I'll actually be doing, and I'm excited, but nervous about the responsibility placed on me. Not that I don't think I'm a very qualified person, but I've been chosen to run the Business Club and the Student Government. I'm pumped about the latter, government - awesome! But Business Club? The students meet to discuss entrepreneurial opportunities in Rwanda, how to start and run a business, networking (I'm actually an expert in this thanks RPG), and so on. Furthermore, my presence now forces the students to hold these meetings in English, instead of Kinyarwanda (the local language). So everyone will be struggling.

I work with students on CVs, cover letters, interview skills, finding jobs (which are scarce) and any other career development task you can think of. What's great is I can basically do what I want - my ideas implemented, absolutely no red tape and I get to work one-on-one with the students. The downside is the communication gap, learning 180 names, and not exactly being a career development expert...seeing as I've had a career for only a year and a half. Students walk in and out all day - but since they just started school, they haven't needed much help. I'm sure it'll pick up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Nora, I don't know if I've told you this but I'm so proud to say you're my friend. Out of any of us this is right up your alley and I know you're going to really help change some lives while you're there. I'm also THRILLED that you will be blogging 1.) bc you're a awesome writer and 2.) I love to hear what you're doing. Stay safe, miss and love you lots.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete