Monday, December 28, 2009

What I'll be Doing in Rwanda

Some of you will be surprised, though most of you won't, to know that I am taking three months off of my PR job to volunteer in Kigali, Rwanda. I'm leaving in a mere two weeks for a three month long adventure living and working in the heart of Africa. I'm interning/volunteering with Orphans of Rwanda (ORI), a non-profit dedicated to helping those orphaned by the 1994 genocide.

"ORI’s principal mission is financing university education and related training for young people who, against tremendous odds, have completed secondary school and scored highly on university entrance examinations."

My role is with the Career Development sector of the organization. Therefore, I will be supporting the students in full-time employment searches, cover letters, resumes and helping to coordinate career development workshops. All of the students have overcome extreme circumstances, as they survived the 1994 genocide that claimed over 800,000 lives, including many of the student's friends and family members. Read some of the student profiles to get a better understanding of what these students have lived through.

This blog will include my experiences, thoughts and opinions on my time in the land of a thousand hills, and I hope to update it frequently. I leave January 13th, so get in your goodbyes now!

No comments:

Post a Comment